Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The fly on the wall.

Annette Vallon: A Novel of The French Revolution is a marvelous novel!

  I am an elitist snob when it comes to books. There is an awful lot of books out there and I am not about to waste my hard earned money on too many that are flops.I buy many more new books than old. I re-read if I cannot find a book to take my interest. I will spend hours in a library happy just to be near the books. Books make a house a home to me. It does not matter where it is at, as long as I have some of my library I am at ease. Like old friends the characters will take me on their adventures while I am safely ensconced in my armchair. This book will definitely be something that is read again, saved on the shelf, and offered out on loan only to those responsible enough not to lose, tear, or spill coffee or tea on it.

  This novel reads smoothly, there are no jumps in time that are not clearly defined and no 21st century silliness inserted into a historical character. Mr. Tipton has researched his characters, the times, the social norms of the period and worked within those parameters. He did not resort to cliche to describe, but has allowed the characters to gracefully show themselves as they are. The scenes are allowed to develop and the events are naturally occurring. Nothing feels forced or contrived. The authors word choice is perfect. The language that is used is intelligent.

  On the topic of the French Revolution I do not feel cheated in any way, shape, or form. The author does not skirt the issue, but brings it into the forefront and makes one able to empathize with the characters and their plight.With the fair amount of knowledge I have about the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror I have not been confused or left to look up a term  The reader is the fly on the royalists walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment